Are CSA and home garden greens taking over your kitchen?
Resolution’s dietitian, Brianna, shares her top 8 deliciously creative ways to use your veggies before they wilt.
(You’ll want a blender or food processor for most of these.)
- Drink ’em now…or later. Wash greens and freeze them. Later, toss them into a blender with your other smoothie ingredients (berries, bananas, protein, etc) and drink them up.
- Create a healthier pasta sauce. Combine your greens in a food processor with fresh tomatoes or your favorite pasta sauce. Blend extra well and no one will even know they are eating spinach.
- Chop and add to scrambled eggs, omelets, pastas, macaroni and cheese, casseroles
- Wrap your greens in a tortilla with hummus, avocado, and pesto
- Bake vegetables, like kale or sliced beets, until crisp for a healthy chip alternative
- Add greens to soups and salads. Make up a large pot/bowl and portion into lunches for the week
- Blend up a healthy pesto. Add greens to food processor with basil, pine nuts, almonds, olive oil, garlic, Parmesan.
- Make a hearty, flavorful, colorful snack. Chop turnips, beets, potatoes, and onions. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper before baking OR drizzle with pesto. Bake for 45 minutes at 375 degrees.